Friday, April 11, 2008

I was dead...but now I live!

I want to share with you all a thought that has continually come to my mind in recent weeks as I look toward to heading to Japan. I can't fulfill this assignment in Utsunomiya. I'm not creative enough to do it. I'm not attractive enough or smart enough either. I have no discernible skills. Despite my best intentions, on a daily basis I fall far short of being the person whom God desires that I be. I'm still bent on fulfilling the desires of my heart rather than the desires of my Heavenly Father. I'm constantly reminded that there is nothing good within me in and of myself.

Based on that I consider it no small thing that Christ sacrificed himself upon the cross for me. What would drive the God of this world to give up his Son to pay for my mistakes, my shortcomings, my failures? It is this amazing grace and amazing love that I'll never fully understand.

I cherish the song by Casting Crowns titled "And Now My Lifesong Sings." The lyrics go:

I once was lost, but now I’m found
I once was lost, but now I’m found
So far away, but I’m home now
I once was lost, but now I’m found
And now my lifesong sings

I once was blind, but now I see
I once was blind, but now I see
I don’t know how, but when He touched me
I once was blind, but now I see

And now my lifesong sings
And now my lifesong sings
And now my lifesong sings

I once was dead, but now I live
I once was dead, but now I live
Now my life to You I give
Now my life to You I give
Now my life to You I give

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Let my lifesong sing to You

It's the last verse that gets me every time I listen to the song! "I once was dead, but now I live!" Without Christ in my life I would be as good as dead. In fact, that's exactly what I once was. But because of what He did and because of who He is, it is now that I truly live. All that is good and decent in me is because of He who lives within me.

As I head to Japan next week I am aware that if I go in my own wisdom and strength and with my own agenda and laid out plans, then my life will resemble more of that dead man that I once was rather than the new life that I now live in Christ Jesus. Pray that I'll be wholly dependent upon God in the coming weeks, months, and years, and that I'll live out that new life I have in Christ in a way that brings the utmost glory to God.


"But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ..."--Ephesians 2:4-5

4 comments:

Dawn & Mike said...

Jarod,

You touched my heart and made me cry. What a beautiful, heartfelt writing. I am so proud of you and I know you will be touching many more lives with the love of Christ. Please continue to share God's love and your passion in everything you do. You will make a difference.

Love,
Aunt Dawn

pjuriga said...

My Dear Son,

I am thankful that our God has had His hand on you to guide you every step of the way to serve Him in Japan. Because of His grace and love you will do the Master's work knowing that He will provide for all of your needs and keep you safe for me.

Since the beginning of this year, as of today, I have prayed for your mission 103 times and have spent 25 hours and 45 minutes. God has renewed many many of His promises from His word and one that surfaces at this time is that He will NEVER leave you. With that confidence I am able to entrust you to His care in the work you will be doing for Him in Japan.

I am excited about hearing of the accomplishments you will achieve that will bring glory to our God. I don't suppose I'll every be able to be any prouder of your commitment to Him than our Heavenly Father himself.

Our God's grace, love, and peace go with you and will sustain in all things. I thank God for you but even more so for your willingness to serve Him in bringing lost souls into His kingdom.

I'll be sharing with some very real signs that are proof that our God has been taking care of you for many years. You are special to Him AND to me!

In Christ's grace, love, and peace, Dad.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jarod,

I actually stumbled across your blog while Googling the lyrics for "And Now My Lifesong Sings." I hope that you don't mind if I subscribe to your RSS feed and follow along...I have a heart for missions and would love to experience vicariously through you what God is doing in Japan.

In Recovery said...

God used your blog entry (which I accidentally stumbled on) to inspire my heart with the pure love of Christ. I was writing an email to a loved one who hasn't spoken to me in months due to a grudge. He emailed me today, and I knew in my heart that I needed to reply to do my part. The accusations and condescension in his tone was so hard to see through, but I was praying for God's inspiration when I had the thought to google "I was dead, but now I live." Very random, but I thought perhaps it was God speaking to my heart and mind so I looked it up, and found myself on your site. Your words spoke to the part of my heart that was afraid to shine forth in humility and brotherly love, regardless of the mockery, or anger that may ensue. I thank God through his son, Jesus for speaking to me tonight, and reminding me that I am loved, and not even alone in my constant attempts to belittle and berate my own efforts. I too have found his Grace most present in those moments of complete surrender and willingness to serve my brother. He saved my life. God bless you, brother and blessings to your family.

By grace and grace alone,

Jehrem

jehrem@gmail.com