Saturday, July 12, 2008

Failed Again!

Hey all!

Let me state out front how much I love the Japanese people. I really do. The Japanese people have a way of getting inside your heart and just setting up shop there. More importantly, God loves the people of Japan. So God loves the Japanese people and I love the Japanese people. Regardless of what is said in the next paragraph, please don't forget that.

This past Thursday I took my driving test for the third time. I wasn't able to sleep at all the night before the second exam because I was so anxious about that one. And then they failed me for chewing gum that day. Well this time I was able to get a little sleep the night before. I was still pretty anxious all throughout the night though, but I was finally able to get some sleep. So I went last Thursday, payed my money, did my paperwork, and then sat around for 2 hours until the actual exam started. I proceeded to knock it out of the park. I mean I just knew I was going to pass this time. So as I pulled up and parked the car after taking the exam, the instructor proceeded to tell me that I was waiting too long after turning on my turn signal to change lanes. The first week he told me that I didn't wait long enough. You are supposed to have 3 seconds between the time you actually flip on your turn signal and the time you actually move over to the other lane. He told me that I was waiting 4 seconds, which obviously is not 3 seconds. He then proceeded to tell me that I failed because of that and I would have to take the exam again.

It's hard to explain what was going on inside of when I found out I was failing the entire exam because I was off by one second in my lane change technique. There was a mixture of anger, sadness, confusion, shock, disbelief, and resignation inside of me at that moment. Things weren't helped when I walked into the center to set up my next attempt at passing the exam when two Chinese nationals living here in my city told me that they had just failed for the 15th and 17th times respectively. I have come to the realization that no matter how good I do it doesn't matter. They are just going to look for anything to justify failing me.

Please pray that someone at the center will show me favor the next time I take the exam. I'm taking it again next Friday, July 18th. I want to be a good ambassador of Christ to all those around me, but the people at the driving facility have gone beyond irritating me, and so therefore it has been difficult for me to see these people in a positive light. Please pray for God's patience, love, and humility to be evident in my thoughts, actions, and words as I continue the process of getting my license in Japan. Thank you so much.

in Christ's love,

jarod

6 comments:

John (JJ) said...

Hey Jarod, I'm so sorry to read about your trials in getting your Japanese Driver's License. I've talked with my wife (she's from Utsunomiya) and there may be a more sure way of getting your license although it could be costly. You could enroll in a driver's school. Not that it would improve your skills, but it would show that you 'invested' in the system and they will most likely consider that. It's almost like extortion, in a way unfortunately. There may be a second option and my wife says there's an option to pay for converting your US license to a Japanese one. It's more like a process and there's still a test, but it's more likely that you'll get it if you pay that money. Again, it all seems like extortion to me. I will continue to pray for your strength as you go through this process. I just wanted to give you what bit of information I could. On a side note, it's a bit weird, if you recall the last time I commented I was in Utsunomiya on vacation and I'm back in the states now, however I left on the second of July. I took the Maronie bus from Utsunomiya station to go to Narita and I'm pretty sure I saw you getting off one of the incoming buses! I recognized you from your blog. Anyway, I thought that was funny. May the love of Christ be with you always! がんばって!- John F.

jarod j said...

John,

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep my spirits up. In all it's just a minor issue with the license, and if that's the biggest of my problems I've got it good. So I'm just trying to be more positive about it all and trying to take it in a little more lighthearted manner.

It's funny that you were leaving on the Maronie bus on the 2nd of July. That's exactly when I came back to Utsunomiya from attending some meetings in Thailand. So yeah, that person you saw was me.

I hope you enjoyed your vacation time here in Utsunomiya. I appreciate your prayers and encouragement. They mean more to me than you know. I'm so grateful I serve a great God, because if all this were left up to me I would completely fail. But God is good!!! Thanks again John!

Anonymous said...

No matter how many times it takes you to pass your license test, know that I know how great of a driver you are, forwards and backwards. I believe in you Jarod and I will continue to pray for you, that God will grant you grace at the DMV and that He will allow you to pass your test in His perfect timing, and that in the mean time you can be a witness to those in the waiting room and the workers there. I know it's not easy and it's frustrating...but know that I am cheering you on. Go team Junkle!

Joel said...

Hang in there. At our prayer time last night, people were asking about your efforts to get your Japanese Driver's License. Know that people are praying for you as you deal with all the details of life there.

jarod j said...

Joel,

Thanks for the prayers. The biggest part is that I just need to have a better attitude while I'm there. I mean it's not like I need to stop being a missionary while I'm there and then when I leave I got back to being a missionary. So I do appreciate the prayers. I took the test again today (7-18) and I had a much better outlook and attitude about things throughout my time there.

With that said I failed again. I couldn't understand the Japanese of my instructor this week though and so I actually have no idea why I failed this week. So I just told myself it was because I'm so good looking.

The good news is that I'm not taking it again until Aug. 22 so I have some time now not to think about it and stress over it.

Thanks again Joel. Miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

I hear your taking your test again on Friday. Know that I am praying for you, that you will not only drive well, but that the DMV guys will see what a great driver you are and pass you. I pray for God's favor to be upon you. hey I did hear the other day that the DMV guys are previous immigration people or something like that....so those who used to be strict on letting or not letting people into the country are now the people who are giving you your drivers test...interesting piece of info, thought i would share it...hopefully i remembered it correctly.